If you are a beginner or you have been in the eCommerce business for a while, there is one big question every eCommerce entrepreneur asks themselves: “should I go for free eCommerce shopping cart or a paid monthly eCommerce shopping cart?
The truth is free or paid, both shopping cart solutions are good, but it depends on your store’s requirement. We all have different wants and needs, and we are all trying to achieve different results.
So today, I will be discussing the difference between the free and paid eCommerce shopping cart, and of course, we will take a look at the pros and cons of the two different types of eCommerce solution.
Free E-commerce Shopping Cart. With a free eCommerce shopping cart, you will have to do everything yourself: choosing your domain, selecting your web host, designing, installing your eCommerce software, etc.
Hosted Ecommerce Shopping Cart. With a paid-monthly hosting site, you have many of the necessary steps taken care of. However, you still need to choose your domain name yourself (it’s your domain name, no one can choose that for you)
Let’s move on to talking about the pros and cons of each eCommerce solution, so you will get to choose the solution that suits you best.
Free E-commerce Shopping Cart
When using a free eCommerce shopping cart, you will have to decide on what platform you want to use. There are lots of platforms online to choose from.
- It is free.
- You have full control. One of the best things about using a free eCommerce shopping cart is that you have full control over anything that happens in your store, so it is very flexible.
- No tie-ins. There are no solid commitments attached with free eCommerce solutions. If you don’t like a platform, you can start all over.
- Updates. Updates can be quite frustrating. When using a free eCommerce shopping cart, you will have to update it more often to make sure you are using an updated software.
- Security. A free eCommerce solution is not always safe.
- It is very difficult to install a new theme. It might be very complicated to install a new theme when using a free eCommerce solution.
Hosted Ecommerce shopping cart
There are lots of companies that provide a hosted eCommerce solution for a reasonable price. However, each company also has their cons and pros. So before you choose a hosted eCommerce solution, you have to do your research well.
- Better support. Hosted eCommerce solutions have better customer support that you can turn to everyday and anytime you are having issues with your store.
- Free themes. You get the chance to explore themes as several themes are available for hosted eCommerce solutions. Plus, it is very easy to install themes.
- Security. There is no eCommerce company that would want their customer’s website to be hacked, so they will try their best to prevent hacking.
- Easy installation. It is easy to set up a hosted eCommerce solution.
- Not as flexible as the free eCommerce solution
- No access to core files. For security reason, you will not be given access to your website’s raw codes. Instead of giving you the raw code, they make all aspects of your store editable.